Monday, July 26, 2010

Old Game Art in Your Browser


Back in the day when all computer artists had to work with was 256 colors they found a way to make simple animations by cycling through different colors. Apparently this is possible in our browsers now.

That's interesting. I'm always interested in the way resource constraints force people to find elegant solutions. But I'm more interested in Mark Ferrari's evocative art. Go here and click on the demo. You can see scenes like the above Mountain Stream in the morning, afternoon, and at night. Some pictures have rain or fog.

I don't know what games these were from but I wish I could play them right now.

via Boing Boing

3 comments:

  1. Those are very nice. Looking forward to our Adobe Flash free future (with apologies to my Adobe using developer friends).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful.
    --Thank you for posting this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel an urge to play Space Quest 4 now! :)

    ReplyDelete